Monday, February 7, 2011

Intitle: \i-catcher Console-web Monitor

Behind miracle: the story of a Chilean rescue

Orlando Arriagada and his team shoot in Chile, one month after the rescue of minors. Photo production
He quickly decided to go there to shoot a documentary on this story below followed live by the media worldwide. His film, Behind the miracle - 33 minors, from darkness to light, is presented tomorrow at 20h, the Reportage de Radio-Canada.

Q: What was your best interest to deal with this rescue?

A: This story has gone around the world and ended with a happy ending. But behind this there are all the social and historical conditions of the Chilean mining industry that I wanted to explore. You had to go beyond the next media event. I also wanted to see, in chronological order, how the reacted people directly concerned.

Q: Normally, the shooting of a film is thought out, so here we are dealing with an almost documentary-minute. Why the rush?

A: From the beginning, I followed the story line. Every morning at 7 am, I plugged in the Chilean TV to know where things stood. Then I found myself RDI comment live the discharge of children one by one. With all the technological tools, I could hear and feel the reaction of Chilean people. That's what I wanted to translate. And I wanted to do it fairly quickly. We went there one month after the rescue, and at the end of our shoot, other teams - the BBC, Discovery and PBS - came and offered huge amounts of money to minors for their testimony.

Q: If you had one word to describe the mood of the miners that you met, what would it be?

A: I would say it is a mixture of euphoria and fatigue. They are euphoric because they travel everywhere and have a hectic life. But they are also very tired. They are aware that one day all this will stop. One of them said that after the photos, interviews and everything, he must return to the mine. Because he knows nothing else to do in life.

Q: Are these events will change something in Chile?

A: We hope so! Until now, the government has added few officials to better monitor the mines, but the fact remains that working conditions are outdated in several places. About 70% of the mines owned by individuals or foreign companies, including Americans and Canadians, who do not offer good working conditions and adequate measures for the health and safety. They do a lot of money but exploit people in medieval conditions. For a country develops, it must have a social quality. What does not exist in many places in Chile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment